Our AKC/CGC Training Program is based around teaching dog/handler teams the etiquettes needed to go into specific facilities (i.e. schools, nursing homes, hospitals, psychiatric facilities, etc.). AlphA and Omega Dog Training does not certify Facility Dogs, however, many facilities do not require a certification from any particular organization.
If you are seeking training for your dog to become a Therapy or Facility Dog, we will teach the dog the following skills in public and/or stimulating environments. If your dog successfully tests through these skills and is at least 1-year old, we will provide documentation showing successful completion. If you have a specific organization in mind for certification, you are encouraged to ask them what their requirements are before we finalize training to ensure all required skills are covered.
Our AKC/CGC Program can include:
– Various temperament test items.
– Accepting a friendly stranger.
– Sitting politely for petting.
– Appearance and grooming instruction (including nail clipping).
– Heel and loose-leash walking with distractions (with flat collar or harness with no metal links).
– Recall – “Come” command around distractions.
– Reaction to loud noises (may have a reaction, but must recover quickly and remain under control).
– Familiarity with medical equipment they may encounter in a facility setting.
– Supervised separation – how your dog reacts when you walk away.
– “Sit” and “Down” on different surfaces without needing to be lured.
– Reactions to another a dog while on leash.
– “Leave It” command (with treat being dropped in front of them and being able to walk past it).
– “Stay” or “Wait” command.
– * “Lap” command – Dog will place its paws on your lap.
– * “Visit” command – Dog will place its head on your lap from either side and allow you to pet their head.
– * “Up” command – Dog will place paws on indicated object (i.e. wall, table, store counter).
– * “Jump On” command – Dog will move its entire body onto an indicated object.
– Allows brushing by stranger.
– Taking treats nicely.
– American Kennel Club (AKC) Canine Good Citizen (CGC) certification.
*Skill may not be applicable, based on the size of your dog.